June 14, 2013

Zion National Park

We just got back last night from our western states road-trip. 16 days, 4085 miles travelling through Utah, Wyoming, South and North Dakota and Montana. We visited many parks including Mt. Rushmore, Teddy Roosevelt, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Bryce Canyon, Grand Canyon and Zion.

The majority of photos I took on this trip were with my new Ricoh GR. I brought my K-30 with the FA31 and DA* 200 but only ended up using the K-30 and DA*200 for the obligatory shots of Buffalo which were out of range for my GR's 28mm lens.

As I have hundreds of GR images to go through, I decided to break them up into separate posts based on the location or area we visited. As Zion was our last stop and fresh in my memory, I'll start with a few samples from this truly amazing park.

All photos from my trip were shot in RAW. Images that I post will be processed with CS6 and ACR and converted "as shot" with absolutely no editing or adjustments to the images. With any new camera, I always shoot for awhile with its base or default settings so I better understand its characteristics before I start to apply any changes in post-processing.

This trip gave me a great opportunity to test the GR. One thing I've noticed with its RAW files versus my K-30 or K-5 is that the default images are more saturated and punchy. While I took many photos of Zion, I think this small sampling will give you a good idea of what Zion looks like and how my GR performed in this beautiful natural setting.

(Note: click on any image to see a larger file.)











































No comments:

Post a Comment